Construction and Demolition (C&D) debris constitutes approximately 40% of waste generated. In response to State-mandated waste reduction goals and as a part of the City’s efforts to increase diversion, the City adopted the Construction and Demolition Ordinance.
The C&D Ordinance Applies to the Following Projects:
- Residential Addition: 1,000 ft2 or more
- Non-residential Addition: 1,000 ft2 or more with permit valuation of $200,000
- Tenant Improvement: 3,000 ft2 or more
- New Structure: 1,000 ft2 or more
- Demolition: 1,000 ft2 or more
- Reroof of 5,000 ft2 or more
- Any additions, improvements, construction or demolition with an estimated value of $100,000 or more
Roofing Projects of 5,000 ft2 or less are exempt.
- Before the construction and/or demolition work, submit a Waste Reduction and Recycling Plan with project plans to the Building and Safety Division for Approval.
- Defer to the Before Project Webpage.
- Submit the “Diversion Security Deposit” (maximum $30,000). You may pay by check, credit card, cash or bond.
- Demolition: 6% of project valuation
- Construction or Addition (Single Family): 2% of project valuation
- All other projects: 3% of project valuation
3. At project completion: submit a Waste Reduction and Recycling Plan Compliance Report with ORIGINAL facility tags within 6 months of certificate of occupancy.
4. Allow 4-6 weeks for refund processing.
To obtain a Security Deposit Refund
- Divert 65% of the project's estimated debris
- Debris must be taken to a certified mixed debris recycling facility or a certified recycler
- Submit original facility tags (with project address) documenting diversion activities
- Deposit waived for projects with deposit of $200 or less
- Non-residential additions of 1,000 ft2 or more and building alterations with a permit valuation of $200,000 or more must recycle universal waste. Universal waste is batteries, cathode, ray tubes, electronic devices, mercury containing equipment, and lamps.
- The applicant must reuse or recycle 100% of all trees, stumps, rocks, assorted vegetation from land clearing. Original facility receipt documenting the reuse or recycling of material is required.
Our "C&D is easy as 1-2-3" Brochure outlines each step of the Construction & Demolition Ordinance.
For more information call the Integrated Waste Management Division at (818) 548-3916 or email C&DRecycle@GlendaleCA.gov.