Leslie Coombs Brand is often called the father of Glendale because of the role he played in the development of the City in the early 1900s. He built his residence on a lot at the base of the Verdugo Mountains. His beloved Miradero, (meaning a high place overlooking an extensive view) was a 5,000 square foot mansion inspired by the East India Pavilion at the World's Columbian Exposition. The exterior is decorated with minarets and repeating scalloped arches, while the contrasting interior is styled in a late-Victorian manner. When he passed away in 1925 Brand left his home and adjacent land to the City for use as a public park and library.
A collection of online photographs that depict Leslie C. Brand and his family while he was still living in Miradero, images of the rooms within the mansion, and scenic views of the property are available online as part of The Online Archive of California (OAC). The collection includes photographs and documentation related to Mr. and Mrs. Brand's funeral, the Brand family cemetery, the Brand Lodge, Brand's 1921 fly-in party, his airfield and airplanes, his automobiles, and his camp in Mono Lake. The collection also includes photographs of the Brand Library and Park that was created from his home and property deeded to the City of Glendale.
Click here to view the collection.
In 2012, the City of Glendale engaged architectural firm Gruen Associates to lead the highly anticipated renovation of the Brand Library, in partnership with Offenhauser/Mekeel Architects, specialists in architectural design in authentic styles. Click here to view photos.