1601 West Mountain Street
Glendale, CA 91201
Phone: (818) 548-3782
Fax: (818) 409-7099
Hours Of Operation
||By Reservations only - Call the Customer Service Office at (818) 548-2184|
|On the third Sunday of the month, The Friends of Shoseian (a volunteer organization whose goal is to raise funds for the renovation of the teahouse interior) offer workshops and events related to many aspects of Japanese Art and Culture, including: chado (tea ceremony), budo (martial arts), shodo (calligraphy), and ikebana (flower arranging). For a schedule of offerings and to learn more about The Friends of Shoseian, to view their website or email email@example.com|
||Monday through Thursday, 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
- The traditional teahouse was built in 1974 through the combined efforts of the Sister Cities of Glendale and Higashi-Osaka, Japan. It is one of the few traditional Japanese Teahouses open to the public in the United States.
- The Teahouse represents the spirit of goodwill, lasting peace and friendship between the people of Japan and the United States.
- Given the name "Shoseian" or "Whispering Pine Teahouse" by the Fifteenth Grand Tea Master of the Urasenke School of Tea in Japan, the Teahouse is designated an official Tearoom. Dr.Yamazaki of Higashi-Osaka provided initial support for the Teahouse and Gardens.
- The Teahouse, which was designed by architect Hayahiko Takase, is a unique blending of western and eastern design and an apt expression of the spirit of cross-cultural community.
- Through recent cooperative efforts by the City of Glendale and Friends of Shoseian, the Teahouse was refurbished and established as a Landmark Building by the Glendale Historical Society.
- Nestled at the foot of the Verdugo Mountains beside a koi pond in a charming Japanese-style garden setting, the Teahouse is in a unique position to outreach to the community of Glendale and greater Los Angeles.
- The Japanese Friendship Garden surrounding the tea house is available for weddings and other special events with a reservation. To reserve, please call the City of Glendale, Community Services & Parks department's customer service office at (818) 548-2184.
- Download the Teahouse brochure for more information.
| Dedication 1974