Brand Library/El Miradero

Print
Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

RENOVATION NOTICE

Brand Library & Art Center is temporarily closed for renovation. Reference service and a portion of the library collection are available at Glendale Central Library, 222 E. Harvard St., Glendale 91205, 818-548-2027. Please visit us at www.brandlibrary.org or on Facebook for further information and renovation updates. The renovation is expected to be completed in early 2014. 

BRIEF HISTORY
Brand_dirtThe Brand Library is housed in the mansion Brand built in 1904 named El Miradero. A gallery and recital hall was added in 1969. Located in Brand Park, high in the foothills overlooking Glendale and the San Fernando Valley, the Library serves an ever-widening public interested in the arts.

The design of El Miradero is similar to the East Indian Pavilion built for the 1893 Columbian World Exposition held in Chicago and visited by Brand. The architecture is considered Saracenic, with crenellated arches, bulbous domes and minars combining characteristics of Spanish, Moorish, and Indian styles.

Brand died in the house in 1925. He bequeathed El Miradero to the city and Mrs. Brand lived in the house until her death in 1945. The will provided that the property be used exclusively for a public park and library. By 1956 the mansion had been converted into Brand Library. Years later, in response to the need for more arts space, the City Council allocated funds to construct an addition to Brand Library that would include facilities for art exhibitions, lectures and concerts, as well as art and craft studios. The new addition was dedicated in October 1969.    

DIGITAL COLLECTION
A collection of online photographs that depict Leslie C. Brand and his family while he was still living in El Miradero, images of the rooms within the mansion, and scenic views of the property are available online as part of The Online Archive of California (OAC). The collection includes photographs and documentation related to Mr. and Mrs. Brand's funeral, the Brand family cemetery, the Brand Lodge, Brand's 1921 fly-in party, his airfield and airplanes, his automobiles, and his camp in Mono Lake. The collection also includes photographs of the Brand Library and Park that was created from his home and property deeded to the City of Glendale.

Click here to view the collection.   

Permanent Location:
MAP
1601 West Mountain Street
Glendale, California 91201-1200
818-548-2027 (temporary phone number during renovation closure)