Inclusionary Zoning Ordinance (IZO)
Adopted: May 7, 2019
Effective: June 7, 2019
Applicable Citywide to multi-family
rental developments of eight (8) units or greater.
Fifteen percent (15%) of the total units in an otherwise market-rate rental project must be affordable to
lower income (60% AMI) individuals or families.
Any fractional unit resulting from the
15% calculation will be rounded up.
Inclusionary units will be deed restricted for a period of 55 years.
Inclusionary units must be comparable to market rate units with respect to size, bedroom count, design, quality, workmanship, and finishes.
- A developer may request and be granted the right to build smaller inclusionary units provided the square footage of the inclusionary units is equal to or greater than if not seeking the alternative.
Unit mix of inclusionary units must reflect unit mix of market rate units and be dispersed throughout the development.
- A developer may request and be granted the right to build a different unit mix provided the inclusionary bedroom count is 10% greater than if not seeking the alternative.
Developer may provide the required number of inclusionary units off-site provided:
- Inclusionary units will be within one (1) mile of the project; and
- Inclusionary units will be comparable to market rate units with respect to size, bedroom count, design quality, workmanship and finishes.
Developer may provide the required number of inclusionary units through the acquisition and rehabilitation of an existing residential building, provided:
- The building to be acquired and rehabilitated has been cited for substantial building code violations;
- All of the units have been vacant for 90 days or longer; and
- The rehabilitation of the building must be substantial, such that the after-rehab value will be at least twenty-five percent (25%) greater than the pre-rehab value of the building.
Developers may meet their Inclusionary requirement by paying an In-Lieu Fee based on the following schedule multiplied by the per gross floor area:
- 8-units $28.71 - sq. ft.
- 9-units $30.69 - sq. ft.
- 10-units $33.00 - sq. ft.
- 11-15 units $44.00 - sq. ft.
- 16-20 units $49.50 - sq. ft.
- 21 units or more - $55.00 - sq. ft.
Developer may meet Inclusionary requirement by any combination of building and/or paying the In-Lieu fee.
Note: Affordable units required under Density Bonus law must be built. There is no optional In-Lieu fee.
For a more comprehensive understanding of the Inclusionary Housing Requirement, please refer to Glendale Municipal Code Chapter 30.35.