Youth Participants between the ages of 14-21 receive life skills, pre-employment training and paid work experience during the summer. This program has two components:
1. The Brush Clearance Program provides the youngest and unskilled youth ages 14-16 a first time job experience. On closely supervised teams, the participants spend six weeks removing overgrown brush on over 30 parcels of City-owned land, augmenting the City's Vegetation Management Program and reducing the risk of fire on the city's hillside.
2. Youth between the ages of 17 and 21 are placed in jobs throughout the community such as the local hospitals, non-profit organizations, libraries, schools and public agencies. Youth are also placed in for-profit businesses within the community such as retail stores, offices and fast food restaurants.
♦ Participants interested in the Summer Youth Employment Training Program must be:
- Between the ages of 14 and 21
- From a low income household
- Live in Glendale, Burbank & La Canada Flintridge
- If under the age of eighteen, must be able to obtain a valid work permit
- Due to high demand for this program, youth are served on a first come, first served basis.
♦ Qualifications for this program may change based on funding. The objective of this program is to provide mentored employment opportunities to local youth. For most youth, this will be their first job.
Benefits of being a work-experience site for the Summer Youth Employment Program
- Grant pays for 100-200 hours of training & work experience
- GYA is responsible for payroll, taxes and worker's compensation insurance
- Worksite will be responsible for providing adequate supervision and on-the-job training
- There is no obligation to hire the youth, this is a temporary summer work experience program
- For most youth this will be their first job experience
If interested in being a summer work experience site, please complete the request form by clicking (here) and e-mail the completed form to LIsaacs@glendaleca.gov or mail to Glendale Youth Alliance-Summer Youth Employment Training Program 1255 S. Central Avenue, Glendale, CA 91204. For more information, please call (818) 937-8073.
Youth Application Deadline
Each year, applications are accepted from March 1 - 31. We will continue accepting applications until the program numbers have been met. Youth will be served on a first come, first served basis and priority will be given to youth who have not previously participated in the program.
How to apply
The link to the application can be found below. Applications can also be picked-up from the second floor of the Verdugo Jobs Center located at 1255 S. Central Avenue, Glendale, CA 91204.
All applications must be printed, signed and personally delivered to the Verdugo Jobs Center. Incomplete applications will not be processed.
If the youth is under the age of 18, applications must also be signed by a parent or guardian.
For more information please contact (818) 937-8073.
Frequently asked questions
How many times can I participate in the Summer Youth Employment Training Program?
Youth Participants meeting the program qualifications can apply on March 1st. In order to give all who apply the opportunity to take advantage of our program, priority will go to those who have not previously participated in the program.
Can I work in an office setting if I am 14, 15 or 16 years old?
If you are 14 and 15 you will automatically be placed in our Brush Clearance Program. Some 16 year-old participants will also be placed in our Brush Clearance Program.
Can I still go to summer school and work for GYA?
Yes. GYA provides both part-time and full-time opportunities. If you are enrolled in summer school, we can work around your school schedule.