Catalina Verdugo Adobe

2211 Bonita Drive
Glendale, CA 91208
MAP

Hours Of Operation ( Effective 4/15/2013 )

Park Description

  • The park is 1.3 acres in size and is nestled at the base of the Verdugo Hills in a residential neighborhood.
  • It is home to one of the oldest buildings in the City of Glendale, and the remnants of the historic "Oak of Peace".
  • Amenities include a picnic area which available for family picnics or gatherings.
  • Because of the historic nature of the facility, barbecues and amplified sound are not permitted.

Catalina Verdugo Adobe History

  • The Catalina Verdugo Adobe is registered as California Historical Land Mark #637 and the California Parlor #247.
  • The adobe is believed to have been built in 1828 and originally consisted of the main room and the south wing. The north wing of the adobe was added around the turn of the century.
  • The dwelling was named after Jose Maria Verdugo's daughter and built by his grandson, Teodoro Verdugo.
  • After a series of ownership changes, the property was sold to land developer, F.P. Newport. Newport knew of the historical value of the adobe and was careful to preserve it.
  • The property was later sold to Dr. Ernest Bashor and remained in the Bashor family until it was sold to the City of Glendale in 1989.
  • The adobe includes a rustic covered porch, brick patio, and wooden picnic tables.

"Oak of Peace" History

  • The tree was named the "Oak of Peace" in 1847.
  • Jesus Pico, representing Lieutenant Colonel Fremont and the United States met with his brother, General Andres Pico, commander of the Mexican army on the Verdugo Adobe property in January 1847, and recommended that they surrender to the United States due to the size and strength of Fremont's Army.
  • Terms of the surrender were discussed and agreed upon under the large oak located 30 yards from the Adobe.
  • The actual signing of the treaty came two days later, near what is now the Hollywood Bowl.
  • Many consider the "Oak of Peace" to be the birthplace of California.
  • Although the tree died from natural causes in 1987, remnants can still be seen at its original site.

For reservation information please call (818) 548-2184.

 

Mission_Period_Bell  Mission Period Bell
 Picnic_Area Picnic Area
 Garden Garden
 Garden_House Garden House
 Driveway Driveway