Glendale Police Arrest Arsonist
Tahnee Lightfoot, Media Relations
On July 5, 2017, the Glendale Police Department arrested 42 year old Antonio La Clay for a series of fires occurring in the City of Glendale and the City of Burbank.
Glendale detectives began investigating the fires in the south portion of Glendale beginning in March 2017. The small fires were mostly confined to stand alone garbage containers, dumpsters, and debris. As the investigation continued, new fires were set in northwest Glendale. A total of 15 arson cases were identified from March through July. The most significant fire occurred in Glendale on June 13th in the 1500 block of Gardena Avenue. A garbage container was set fire in the alley, causing an estimated $40,000.00 in damages to a commercial building.
Detectives began working with the Burbank Police Department after they experienced the same type of arsons in their city with ten reported cases.
Glendale detectives located surveillance footage which captured a male suspect at several of the fire scenes. The Burbank Police Department also located surveillance footage involving the same suspect.
A crime bulletin was generated and surveillance photos of the suspect were shared with the Glendale Fire Department, Burbank Police Department and other law enforcement agencies.
On July 5, 2017, a Glendale Firefighter recognized the suspect at Pelanconi Park while on-duty. Glendale officers responded and identified the male as Antonio La Clay, a homeless male with a last known address in Burbank. Antonio La Clay was identified as the male captured on surveillance and subsequently arrested.
Antonio La Clay DOB: 1/23/75 1500 Block of Gardena Avenue, Glendale
On July 7th, the Glendale and Burbank cases were presented to the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s office and six felony counts of arson were filed. Antonio La Clay is being held on $100,000.00 bail in the Los Angeles Men’s County Jail.
Chief Robert Castro would like to thank the detectives, the Glendale Fire Department and the Burbank Police Department for their tenacious work involving this investigation. The Glendale Police Department and the Glendale Fire Department continue to work in partnership to provide the highest level of service to the community.
Arson Awareness Tips
- External security measures: Lock dumpsters and install sensor lights. Keep shrubbery clear from blocking the view of a building and clear anything that could act as a fuel for an arsonist.
- Contact the City of Glendale Integrated Waste Management at 818-548-3916 to arrange bulky item pick-up prior to leaving household items at the curbside.
- Install cameras to identify suspicious person(s) and vehicles in your neighborhood.
- Internal security measures: Keep the home as clear as possible of combustible material. Smoke alarms and residential fire sprinklers have proven to save lives. Keep your doors and windows locked.
- Remove abandon cars and keep an eye on homes under construction.
- Get to know your neighbors and the vehicles they drive. If you are not comfortable getting to know your neighbors face to face, use a site like Nextdoor.com to meet your neighbors. Nextdoor is a private online site designed specifically for the purpose of helping neighbors connect with one another. Nextdoor has a strict address verification process upon registering. Over 100,000 U.S. neighborhoods are already using Nextdoor to connect, collaborate and help keep their neighborhoods safe.
Report suspicious activity or person(s) to the Glendale Police Department at 818-548-4911.
Glendale, known as the "Jewel City," is one of the largest cities in Los Angeles County. With a population of over 200,000, Glendale is a thriving cosmopolitan city that is rich in history, culturally diverse, and offers limitless opportunities. It is the home to a vibrant business community, with major companies in healthcare, entertainment, manufacturing, retail, and banking.
Sign up for our monthly newsletter Glendale City Connection to stay informed on news & events in Glendale. Follow MyGlendale on Twitter for all Glendale updates!