- See our locations or Download a map with our service hours.
- NOTE: Grandview Library is closed for renovation. Free lunches will be served to children at four libraries this summer, including an outdoor picnic lunch at Grandview Library. Read More>
INDEPENDENCE DAY HOLIDAY CLOSURE
All Library, Arts & Culture Locations will be closed Tuesday, July 4. Read More>
- Download our current Family and Adult/Teen events brochures and find out about all the fun you and your family can have at our libraries!
- Check Us Out! View GTV6 videos about Library, Arts & Culture programs and events!
- See our Holiday Schedule.
- To see all City of Glendale, CA, events, please click here.
CENTRAL LIBRARY - CHARLES HOBBS - Hidden History of Transportation in LA
- Date: 04/17/2017 7:00 PM - 8:30 PM
- Location: Central Library
222 East Harvard Street
Glendale, California 91205
Los Angeles transportation's epic scale--its iconic freeways, Union Station, Los Angeles International Airport and the giant ports of its shores--has obscured many offbeat transit stories of moxie and eccentricity. Triumphs such as the Vincent Thomas Bridge and Mac Barnes's Ground Link buspool have existed alongside such flops as the Santa Monica Freeway Diamond Lane and the Oxnard-Los Angeles Caltrain commuter rail. The City of Angels lacks a propeller-driven monorail and a freeway in the paved bed of the Los Angeles River, but not for a lack of public promoters. Horace Dobbins built the elevated California Cycleway in Pasadena, and Mike Kadletz deployed the Pink Buses for Orange County kids hitchhiking to the beach. Join Charles P. Hobbs as he recalls these and other lost episodes of LA-area transportation lore.
Charles P. Hobbs is the systems librarian at El Camino College's Compton Center in Compton. He was the editor of Transit Advocate, the newsletter of the Southern California Transit Advocates, from 1992 to 2005. He edited the Transit Guide for the Southern California Transit Advocates from 1996 to 2008 and has written the More Than Red Cars historical transit blog since 2009. He has been a librarian at Irvine Valley College, Long Beach Memorial Medical Center and Charles Drew University.
Visitors to the Central Library & Adult Recreation Center receive 3 hours FREE parking in the MarketPlace parking structure on Harvard Street with validation at the Central Library or Adult Recreation Center. Please use www.Eventbrite.com to RSVP for the event and help the Friends of the Library determine the number of books to bring for sales and autographs. Search Charles Hobbs Hidden History.