CENTRAL LIBRARY GRAND RE-OPENING
The Central Library will reopen to the public on Monday, May 1. Read More>
All Library, Arts & Culture locations EXCEPT Central Library will be closed, Monday, May 1, for the Central Library Grand Re-Opening!
- Service hours at our neighborhood libraries have changed and four sites now have 7-day/week service. See our locations or Download a map with the new service hours.
- Download our current Family and Adult/Teen events brochures and find out about all the fun you and your family can have at our libraries!
- Check Us Out! View GTV6 videos about Library, Arts & Culture programs and events!
- See our Holiday Schedule.
- To see all City of Glendale, CA, events, please click here.
CENTRAL LIBRARY - LISA NAPOLI - Ray & Joan
- Date: 05/24/2017 7:00 PM - 9:00 PM
- Location: Central Library
222 East Harvard Street
Glendale, California 91205
Author Lisa Napoli discusses her new book, Ray & Joan: The Man Who Made the McDonald's Fortune and the Woman Who Gave It All Away.
Friends of the Library Annual Meeting: 7 pm
Author Talk: 7:30 pm
Ray Kroc was peddling franchises around the country for a fledgling hamburger stand in the 1950s—McDonald’s, it was called— when he entered a St. Paul supper club and encountered a beautiful young piano player who would change his life forever. The attraction between Ray and Joan was instantaneous, and instantly problematic. Yet even the fact that both were married to other people couldn’t derail their roller coaster of a romance. Their story forms a compelling portrait of the twentieth century: a story of big business, big love and big giving.
A journalist for over thirty years, author Lisa Napoli was among the pioneering team of journalists at the New York Times who covered the early days of the dot-com era. Lisa’s first book, Radio Shangri-La (Crown, 2011) chronicles the dawn of democratic rule in the mysterious Himalayan Kingdom of Bhutan, where she was invited to help start a youth-oriented radio station.
Copies of Ray & Joan will be on sale (cash, check, credit card). Please use www.Eventbrite.com to RSVP for the event and help the Friends of the Library determine the number of books to bring for sales and autographs. Search Lisa Napoli Glendale.
Visitors to the Central Library receive 3 hours FREE parking in the MarketPlace parking structure on Harvard Street with validation at the Central Library Loan Desk.